Thursday, February 02, 2006

taxi.

anyone who knows me know me as a fervent supporter of cabbies. i'm on a few every single day owing to ;

1. i dunno how to drive
2. my last attempt at trying nearly killed my friends
3. i am self imposed blind on most nights. (in the day, my directional sense is excellent.)
4. and if u do the maths of it, cabbing is cheaper than owning a car, and none of you people have anything close to my daily schedule. :p
5. last and most importantly, i live in sengkang. nuff said.

so i usually keep my peace when the uncles (aunties) start giving their "i eat salt more than u eat rice" philosophy, and that has worked out pretty ok. until last last week, on a friday i think, when i hailed this cab to go meet my friends for a steamboat dinner.

me: uncle, 7th storey hotel please.

uncle: ?

me: it's near beach road.

uncle: ok.

uncle: did u see the new year decor they put at marina? very nice hor?

me: bah, i don't bother about chinese new year. i always leave singapore during chinese new year.

uncle: you chinese right? you sure you chinese? chinese must celebrate chinese new year... blah blah blah (about chinese and chinese customs)

(aside, my family as in my dad's side, don't take too kindly to my sharp tongue. thats why i'm banned from visiting during cny. the last auntie to say: "wow eric, you getting fat ah?" got this reply "haha, auntie, you also not too bad yourself ah?")

me: (steaming) so uncle you have to turn right here.

uncle: here? where this place ah?

me: uncle, you sure you singaporean? you sure you not escape from malaysia or china? how come you dun know 7th storey? my father can bring me here blindfolded. wait, my mother also can.

uncle: i know 7th storey is hotel what. you come to stay here ah? (semi-steaming)

me: wahloa-ah! confirmed you escape from china or malaysia! let me tell you la, people come here eat their famous steamboat, hainanese steamboat ah, uncle, how you pass your taxi license? you cannot make it la. its ok, you can tell me what. let this younger generation guide you lah, wahloa-ah. shame la, taxi-driver dunno where 7th storey is...you must learn you know.. blah blah blah...

boy was he pissed. haha.

4 comments:

Cold Cut Ten said...

Heheh... well done. I truly dislike talkative cabbies who offer unasked-for opinions.

dsnake1 said...

crywolf,
this is a real funny post, enjoyed it! :)

sure you still like cabbies after this?

ericlow said...

dsnake:

i have no choice. i need them to bring me to work. alternatively i could alway stay at home... hmmm...

liz:

wait until u kena the politically savvy ones, wah, that one power ah.

haha.

Cold Cut Ten said...

I think I came across one that was quite out spoken against the government once. He got himself so worked up that I really wanted to get out asap. :D