Monday, September 26, 2005

poems.

reworked this one recently so feeling a little proud with what i've done to it.

Matching Talismans

Stepped out of Sunday Mass
onto the road and
straight into his temple.

Told the taxi driver
“take me home.”
but he wanted to introduce me to his idols,
personally.

His Buddhas are strung up like pork,
clinging to his rear view mirror
while clay fairies play
false instruments behind my back.

Impatient,
I asked for his strongest talisman
as a match-up with mine.

He handed over a picture
from beside the speed dial.
“This gets me home safe.”

Two boys beamed at me in matching singlets,
they couldn’t have be more than seven.

Quietly, I returned it to him
with no stronger gods to offer.

***

listening to: aimee mann on repeat - starting to wear on me...

No comments: